Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tastes like Summer: Wild Blueberry Ice Cream

I am a little bit obsessed with blueberries.

I could eat a whole bucket of them if you let me. Fresh, frozen, whatever. I like to put frozen blueberries in my yogurt, like, everyday. They make it the brightest shade of purple and that just makes me happy. Sometimes I smash a few fresh berries and put them in a glass of water. I even once came home from a night out after a few too many drinks and my cocktail induced munchies made me eat the ENTIRE pint of blueberries I had picked up at the farmers market that day...


Now that that's off my chest.

I've been having visions of gorgeous purple blueberry ice cream lately - I've been on a little bit of an ice cream making kick and have made Chai Spice ice cream and Green Tea ice cream recently.

I thought blueberry ice cream would be the bees knees. But non-dairy. Because I make all my ice cream with coconut milk. Because coconut milk is delicious. And making ice cream with coconut milk is super easy. None of that nonsense with cooking egg yolks and worry about them curdling, or straining out those lumpy bits, etc.

You just make your base, maybe use a little arrowroot powder to keep ice crystals from forming, pour it in your ice cream maker, add in your berries and shortbread pieces once it starts to thicken, and viola! The best blueberry ice cream ever!

Wild Blueberry Ice Cream

Two 13.5 oz cans coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
(Optional) 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder

1 cup frozen wild blueberries (frozen work best to color and flavor your ice cream)

(Optional) 1/2 cup crumbled shortbread pieces (you could use store bought plain cookies such as crumbled nilla wafers - or feel free to experiment, white chocolate chips maybe? Or small cubed pieces of pound cake?)


1) In a pot, combine the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla.
2)  - If you are not using the arrowroot powder, put in the fridge to chill.
     - If you are using the arrowroot powder, whisk it with 1/4 cup of the coconut milk mixture, then add it to the pot, and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently for one minute. Remove from heat and put in the fridge to chill.
3) Once chilled, pour the mixture in your ice cream make and freeze according to manufacturer instructions.
4) Once the ice cream has reached a slightly slushy consistency, add in the blueberries and shortbread pieces (if using).
5) When the ice cream is done, pack it into airtight containers and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment