Monday, August 26, 2013

Savory Dinner Waffles



I planted 17 different herbs in my herb garden this year. SEVENTEEN.

Basil, dill, cilantro, chives, pineapple sage, lemon verbena, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, golden  & tri-color sage, parsley, marjoram, french tarragon, garlic chives, oregano, savory and mint. That's a lot of herbs.

The other morning, I stepped out my back door and paused to look at my herb garden before jumping in the car to leave. After driving for five minutes, I knew exactly what I was going to have for dinner that night. Savory herb waffles with sautéed vegetables and homemade gravy.

I have a new waffle iron thats been sitting around since I bought it a couple years ago, but that's not what I used. We have this ancient old waffle iron that my parents got over twenty years ago at a yard sale (so it was pretty old even when THEY bought it) that makes the best waffles ever. Golden and crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. They just don't make things like they used to.

I used some heirloom grey zucchini and lacinato kale from my vegetable garden, and added in some onions, shallots, and mushrooms from my local coop, Fiddleheads (where I do almost ALL of my grocery shopping these days). I also used a multigrain waffle mix from the bulk bins - sometimes I am totally willing to go all out and make my waffle mix from scratch, but this one is super easy and since you only buy as much as you need, it's so inexpensive.

SAVORY DINNER WAFFLES WITH SAUTEED VEGETABLES AND MUSHROOM GRAVY

Waffles:
Prepared Waffle Mix
Olive oil
1 small shallot, finely chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (I used thyme, oregano, and sage, but you can just one, or a different mix - it's totally up to you!)

Vegetables:
2 T good quality olive oil
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/3 of a medium-large zucchini, chopped
A large handful of lacinato kale, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Gravy:
3 T butter
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 T fresh sage, finely chopped
4 T flour
2 cups vegetable stock

Preheat your waffle iron to medium-high. Prepare your waffle mix according to it's directions - enough to make two large waffles. Saute your shallot in a small glug of olive oil, just until it's starting to turn translucent (it will cook a little more in the waffle iron, so you don't want it too 'done'). Add this and your minced herbs to your waffle mix and stir in. Bake your waffles according to your waffle makers directions, until they are golden brown. Cover to keep warm or keep warm in the oven at about 150 degrees.

In the same pan you used to saute the shallots, add your olive oil, and saute your onions and garlic over medium heat just until it starts to turn translucent, then add your zucchini. When the zucchini starts to soften, add the kale and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and then add your shallots, mushrooms, and sage. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked down and the shallots and sage are very fragrant. Add the flour and stir to coat everything. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring until the flour turns golden brown. Add the stock and stir until your gravy comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat.

Serve your waffles topped with the sauteed vegetables and gravy. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment